Thursday, December 1, 2011

Third times a charm!

The liquid is the whey. The white curd is pulling away from the crock and clumping together.
 I hope everyone had a Blessed Thanksgiving Holiday. I know quite a while has gone by and I apologize for you having to stare at the same post for that long but, time gets away from me sometimes. I have been very busy with my Christmas gifts and crossing things off the long list of "things to do". It feels good.

I tried again at my yogurt making. I did research on yogurt makers and thought about asking for one for Christmas but then I decided NO. Not when it seems this easy to make with a crock pot and I'm reading about so many people having success doing it. 

My second attempt didn't work as well and I figured out that my thermometer was off. Its all about the temperatures. It wasn't a loss however since I learned that by adding an acid ( I used 1 Tablespoon lemon juice) and cooking again for about 20 minutes the whey will separate from the curd and you will have Ricotta. You can add salt at this point and have a soft spread cheese as well.

Ricotta.
  I poured the contents of the crock into a strainer lined with a flour sack dish towel and let the whey drain off for awhile.

Make do lasagne, which tastes just as good, using spaghetti noodles.
  I didn't have lasagna noodles so I used thin spaghetti instead and made a yummy dinner.
 It was delicious. I doubt I will do this again unless there is a yogurt miss hap. It is time consuming and easier for me to buy it.

Yougurt making in process with new digital thermometer.
  I did however, FINALLY Succeed at my yogurt.  I found out that by using a digital thermometer it takes all the guess work out of it and makes it easier to succeed. Seth found this one a Target for about $15. I used 1/2 gallon of whole milk and brought the temperature up to 180 degrees. Turned off the crock and cooled it back down to 111 degrees. I then add 1 1/2 Tablespoons of plain yogurt for the live active cultures and wrapped the entire crock in a fleece blanket and popped it into the oven until this morning. The oven was not on, it just keeps the temperature more even while it cools.
 And this morning..... YOGURT!!!  I love Greek yogurt and think it is way to expensive to buy. To get this yogurt even thicker and more creamy I again lined a strainer with a flour sack dish towel and drained of a bit more of the whey.
 I got an entire quart of thick, rich, creamy, Greek style yogurt. I know exactly what it contains. AND it was made for less than 1/2 the cost of store bought. I added some of my homemade blueberry jam. OH MY GOSH !!!!! DELICIOUS.
I am so happy and excited about this new skill I have learned. Some things have seemed out of the question to make myself. I have either thought it to difficult or just never thought of "doing it myself". I'm also glad I stuck to it.  I think I may try making some cream cheese next.
Blessings, Sue

1 comment:

neener bells said...

mommy, your yogurt was soooooo good! it takes a lot of patience to make it, but cooking is your passion :) can you add in fruit as its cooking? i love you mommy