Friday, December 2, 2011

Bread Pudding

When I was a little girl my Grama ( Dads mom ) used to feed me milk toast. BLECK, GAG, YUCK. I hated it. She would toast a piece of white bread and put oleo (old lady margarine, ha ha) on it. Put it in a bowl and pour hot milk over it. GROSS. It was awful.  She did graduate us (me and my siblings and probably my cousins) to cocoa and toast, which was better. You got to dip your toast into the cocoa for however long you wanted, making it less less soggy in my case. The chocolate was even better and the melted oleo gave it a sort of kid like richness.
I have often thought about making Bread Pudding but was afraid that it would remind me of milk toast, until now. Actually it did remind me of milk toast or I wouldn't be mentioning it now, hee hee
Bread Pudding

2 eggs, well beaten
2 1/4 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups bread  cubed, about 5 or 6 slices
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup raisins

Butter Sauce

1/2 cup sugar ( brown or white)
21/2 Tablespoons flour
2 Tablespoons butter
1 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla

Break up bread into pieces and place in a bowl. Add brown sugar, cinnamon and raisins and toss. In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, milk and vanilla. Pour wet mixture over dry mixture and put into a greased 9 inch cake pan. Place that pan into another pan of water and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.

For the butter sauce:  Melt butter in an iron skillet or other pan, and add flour. Stir constantly for a few minutes ( YES GIRLS, this is a "Basic Roux" hahahahahhaha) Add sugar and stir, slowly add water while stirring and continue to cook on low heat until it thickens. Just before you pour it over the already baked bread pudding, add the vanilla.  Serve warm. ( at first I just put butter sauce on individual portions, then gave up a dumped it all on. This was better)
 
 I was surprised. If you have never had bread pudding there is a kinda texture thing to overcome, at least for me. But I can honestly say I liked it. I used in my batch, cinnamon raisin bread and so did not add the extra raisins called for. I used in the butter sauce REAL BUTTER and brown sugar.
 My first thoughts were that I can't wait to feed this to my grand daughter. Must be a grama thing. hahahaha
I know the babies in my life will enjoy this. Try it  and if you do let me know if you like it. If you make it another way let me know so I can try it your way. I can see why this was a popular breakfast food in the past. I bake alot of bread and with no preservatives the last few slices can seem a bit stale. This is a great way to use that up and get your kids out the door with a full and warm tummy. Most of the recipes I found called for stale or dry bread. Seth said his mom made it with white bread and as a kid he hated it. Must be the texture, like I said it does take some getting used to if your not familiar with it.
Quick picture of my shamrocks, blooming away. I'm telling you these little plants brighten my day many, many  times. I am enamoured with them.
Blessings, Sue

1 comment:

nener bells said...

you fed ot to me, momma and it was delicious. i agree with you about the texture thing. it did take a bit to get used to, but it sure was good! heckuva lot better than milk toast...bleck!