Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Scones

I have found it!!! I have been looking for a really good pumpkin scone recipe for a long time. I finally found one that was great. With the tweaks I made, it's PERFECT. I like my scones moist, not to sweet, and just spicy enough. These are they!!!
Scones are a small Scottish quick bread, popular world wide. Basically it is just a biscuit, in fact in Canada and the US. it is called biscuit and scone interchangeably.  The first mention of the word scone, according to the Oxford English Dictionary is 1513. The word itself may derive for the Middle Dutch- Schoonbrood or fine white bread. It may also be from schoon- pure and clean. Check out wikipedia for more interesting information if you're interested.
 
 Moist Pumpkin Scones

2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbs white sugar
1 Tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon and nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves and ginger
1 cup dried cranberries or raisins  (optional)

6 Tbs cold butter, cut into cubes
3 Tbs milk
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1 egg

I made mine in the food processor. Sift all dry ingredients into food processor. Add cubed butter and mix until it looks like bread crumbs. Add wet ingredients and cranberries and mix into a dough. Pour out onto a lightly floured cutting board  and knead a bit to make sure the cranberries are mixed in fairly evenly. Shape into a rectangle approx 12" by 4". Cut into triangles by cutting first into thirds and then cutting each square into triangles. corner to corner make a criss cross. I ended up just cutting mine into smaller rectangles. Bake at 425 degrees for 14 to 16 minutes. Mine took 14 on a parchment line cookie sheet. Make the icing.

Spiced Glaze

1 cup plus 3 Tbs powder sugar
2 Tbs milk
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
a pinch of ginger, ground cloves, salt

Sift all dry ingredients together and throw away the too big bits that won't sift. Add the milk and whisk.
Put as little or as much as you want on your cooling scones.

Brew yourself a mug of steaming coffee, or tea. Put a log on the fire, grab your book or stitching, put up your feet and enjoy!!!! Next time I'm going to add walnuts. SOooooooooo good. Let me know if you make them and what you think.

Blessings Sue

2 comments:

Neener Bells said...

Pumpkin scones sound amazing right now! I wish I had one! Right now I am at work, attempting to enjoy my cup of coffee before the day officially "begins" haha. I love you mommy
love,
Neener Bells

N.B. said...

EWWW! DO NOT ADD WALNUTS!! why would you taint a delicious piece of amazing awesomeness with nuts? I guess I'll never understand.....
I lvoe you mommy. BLOG MORE!!

--Neener Bellz