Monday, October 3, 2011

"Happy Place"

"Find your happy place, Mom" said my wise daughter yesterday afternoon. You see, I was in the middle of an anxiety attack, there I said it, OK I have them...  " I DON"T HAVE A HAPPY PLACE" I replied. "Here come with me" she said, as she took my hand and lead me to my bedroom. Her words were calm and soothing. She spoke great wisdom to me.  I found my calm. 
Big Sur, California... Highway One on the way to Carmel to see Gramma....sideways. hahah
I have never been fond of the phrase " happy place". I have heard it way to many times and found it to be corny every time. When used in certain contexts it makes me want to scream. But yesterday, in my room, with my youngest baby girl beside me, it became suddenly very clear to me.. I DO HAVE A PLACE I GO IN MY MIND WHEN THINGS ARE TOUGH. 
Dancing Trees... Horse ranch were we board Cricket.

Call it that stupid term if you will, I won't, thank you, but it is there for me.. AND it has changed through out the years. Its sometimes changes daily.   


Flowers in my hospital room. I had to stay flat on my back for 24 hrs due to spinal thingy and this was the only thing I could see.
  Sometimes it changes several times during the day, depending on what is going on. But I realize there are some things that are consistent.
Lindo Lake Park, eating a Blizzard with Seth. My first outing after knee surgery.
 God is always there with me.
Wave of the shore in San Diego. Many hours spent walking these beaches.
 It is peaceful and quiet.

New, ugly pedicure (what was I thinking?) in the Laguna Mts. Resting with family, listening to the sounds and breathing the fresh air.
  The air is fresh,  the sunshine soothing and the calm breezes gentle. I can breathe deeply of it.

Random pine needles, again Mt Laguna, San Diego.
 There is always birdsong of some kind.
More dancing trees.
 But mostly the soft sound of nature. Whatever or wherever it is. Is what I hear.

Carlye and Matt's porch in Georgia.
 It isn't a place in particular, and it has many and none of the qualities in the above pictures. It's mine.

Do you have a "place" to go when all seems chaotic and the manageable becomes to much for the moment?
Has it too, changed over the years?
What is it about this place that brings you back time and time again?

Know that you are, Blessed. Sue

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you, Momma. =)

Anonymous said...

beautiful :)

-c

Neener Bells said...

I love you mommy, and miss you. Don't lose the deed to your happy place ;)