Monday, October 17, 2011

Oh Anne...

This has been a favorite of mine for a long time. I read it when I was quite young and continued to enjoy it when my girls were little. I remember It was on as a TV series and I had some of my porcelain dolls in a show up in Los Angeles. So, Seth taped the entire thing for me on VHS. I watched it with my girls many, many times. When I was in Georgia a few years ago I found a copy in an antique store. The owner new however, what they had and I didn't buy it because it was too much. This copy i found as the swap meet. I payed only a dollar for it and It is worth many times that. It is a 33rd impression, printed in September 1912. I feel blessed to have found it.
 
 First published in 1908 by Lucy Maud Montgomery Anne of Green Gables is set in 1878 on Prince Edward Island. The story is about an orphan girl, with an imagination borne from her loses. It begins when an elderly brother and sister need help around their home and decide to adopt a boy from the orphanage.
 They are instead blessed when Anne Shirley is delivered and they decide to "keep" her. She is a strong willed, but very loving little girl and they quickly fall in love with her.
 Diana and Anne become "bosom friends" and they have many, many adventures together.
Gilbert Blythe, a boy at school, soon becomes her biggest rival after he calls her "Carrots" for her red hair and she whacks him on the head with her slate.
 She sends herself down the river in a boat pretending to be, The Lady of Shallot, and Gilbert rescues her. She still doesn't want to speak to him, but you all know where this relationship goes... he he
You can click the picture to make it larger.
The above is a sampling of Anne's personality. You can't help but fall in love with these characters. This became an entire series. If you get the opportunity to read this you can find a more recent copy on Amazon. You won't be disappointed. If you have already read it, then I hope I was able to bring back a few happy memories for you. I am looking forward to sharing this with my grandaughter and and sisters and cousins that come into my life!!!
I'm just hoping that whoever marked this page got to finish the entire book.
Blessings, Sue

No comments: