Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Pelican

These pictures were taken by Jennifer and Angel.
When I was a little girl, growing up in Morro Bay, seeing pelicans was a common occurrence. My Mom used to say this little poem to me and my brother and sister. I honestly looked it up to find the entire version and now I know that she only said the first part to us for a reason. I have revised it a bit my self. I said it to my girls the way my momma said it to me. The Pelican

A wonderful bird is the pelican,

His bill can hold more than his belly can,

He can take in his beak,


Enough food for a week,



But I'm darned if I see how the heck he can.










Pelicans are one of the heaviest birds still capable of flight. Because of their short little legs they are much better swimmers than walkers. They don't dive for their food from the air but eat leisurely while swimming.






They used to sit on the piers and watch us as we walked. and I have seen them eat an entire fish in one gulp. I was always amazed by how blubbery and waddley the bottom of their bill is as it is really a flap of loose skin.
Walking on the pier was always a nightmare for me. I was completely convinced that I was going to slip through the cracks and be washed away forever from my mom and dad, out into the big blue sea. It took a long time for me to get over that. Hmmmmmmmmm.
Hope you enjoyed... Blessings, Sue Oh yes, you can google "pelican poem" and find out what the last line in the poem is if you want, and as always if you click on the picture it will be made larger so you can see the pelican better!!!






No comments: