Saturday, September 18, 2010

A canned story for sure!!!

I have had this book for just about ever. I have been helping and processing canned foods for just about ever. I grew up in a harbor town( Morro Bay) and my Dad was like almost every other man I knew growing up, an avid deep sea fisherman. He would come home on a weekend evening and our front yard would be littered with just about every kind of sea creature he could bring in. Shark, cod, abalone. Of course I grew up HATING the stuff. The only tuna I knew was albacore/ home canned in a jar. I remember being confused at seeing store bought tuna in an actual can. hahahha Now I covet the stuff. We canned all summer during my high school years. We would drive up to Salinas after the harvests and bring back car full of tomatoes and cucumbers and this is not to mention the enormous garden of vegis and fruit trees my mom cultivated. So I guess it's in my blood. I didn't have much time when my girls were little but now I do and sooooooo here goes.
Brining the cucumbers, you can't see that there is also a head of cauliflower underneath.

Sterilizing the jars!!!!


I LOVE GARLIC!!!!! My fingers still smell I believe. hahah



Packing the jars.




The extra cauliflower that I just couldn't cram into the jar. It was really good just like that!!!!






Soaking in the jacuzzi!!!! Waiting for the boil. Note: a watched pot does eventually boil, regardless of the rumors.





Ahhhhhhh and the finished product. Three quarts spicy dill pickles and....







One quart spicy cauliflower...








In the last week or so I have also put up some spicy okra pickles, spicy carrots and one of our all time favorites....









Pickled beets....










Pretty little jars of love. Even daddy,who hates beets, tasted them and said they had a "very good flavor" I love you, Seth. Always my encourager!!!!!!
So I found out that my surgery is not until November or December and even though I am on a waiting list for possible cancellations, and that is hopeful, it is still hard to be patient. I have decided that I WILL keep living my life, I have access to pain medication and a very supportive family. And I'm looking forward to next year and all the years after to keep on living my life...ONLY WITH NO PAIN.
PRAISE BE TO GOD!!!!!!!
Blessings, Sue











1 comment:

Anonymous said...

send me some, send me some, send me some!

-c