Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Strawberry Applesauce

Not only has my beautiful Jennifer moved out, and gone to Georgia, but my "adopted" children Molly and Todd and their precious baby girl have gone to South Carolina as well. All on the same day. I refuse to say goodbye. I love them to much. I had the honor of taking care of Paige since she was a tiny little angel baby...... Aneeeeewaaaaaaaaaay. We had a huge taco dinner a few days before everyone left and I cut up a bunch of strawberries for desert. hhahahahahhaha Yeah right. They weren't even touched. I also had these apples sitting here to make a pie for Seth before they left but time has a way of sneaking up on me. I decided to make some applesauce and add the strawberries in for flavor. I wanted to send a jar with them so my granddaughter would get a bit of a tasty of what's in store for her when her Grama gets back there!!!

Ive never made applesauce with anything else added so this was a new one for me. I decided to go ahead and use cinnamon since I put it in all my pies and it tastes great. Good choice, it enhances the flavors perfectly.



Since I had already put sugar on the strawberries I wasn't sure how much more to add. I didn't want it to be to sweet so I just added another cup and the juice of a few lemons, off my tree.





I had to transfer it to a bigger pot by the time I got everything in there. There just wasn't enough room to stir without spilling it everywhere. I cooked it down a bit until the apples were fork tender and then took out about 2 cups and set it aside. I smooshed up the rest with a potato masher. I have put it through the food processor before but I wanted this to be somewhat chunky. Then I added the non mooshed back in.








I got 3 quarts and a pint. Perfect. I sent one back to Georgia along with 2 qts of pickled beets, 4 quarts of dill pickles, 1 pint of bread and butter pickles and a jar of blood orange marmalade. I hope y'all love it.

I have finished off the pint of applesauce already. Chill it first. It did turn out rather sweet but you know, I can't help but rub off on everything I make for you guys!!! I'm just so darn sweet!!!!!!

Blessings, Sue








No comments: