Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Georgia on my mind.....part 2

Newnan is located in Coweta County, One of the original counties of Georgia. These are pictures I took while visiting the Male Academy Museum, which was the first male school in the area. To the right in this shot is a great wheel, a spinning wheel used for spinning cotton fiber into yarn.
On the left is a swift. This is used to wind the yarn into skeins. It was made so that 45 turns equaled a skein. A skein is the term used for an amount of yarn. Like the skeins you see at your local yarn store.

This is a collage of hand carders, used to align the fibers in the raw cotton to make it easier to spin. (center) A basket of cotton bolls and a small sample of what a bale of cotton would look like.


Ahhhhhh my favorite. This is a Biscuit Block- 1840-1860. It was used prior to the civil war through the early 1900's. Biscuits were usually made for every meal. The dough was rolled out on the block and the lid was closed to help the dough to rise. Once a year it was taken out into the sun and washed thoroughly and left to dry. Up close you can see the outline of where the biscuits actually were. Way cool.



Dr. Ira Ellis Smith was the first settler to arrive in Newnan, Coweta County. He brought his family from Virginia in 1828. These are some of the furnishings he brought along in his covered wagon. I love the sampler above the bed. I wanted to get up close but everything was blocked off. Not that this has stopped me in the past,(remember the White house in Gettysburg, hee hee) But I had allison and carlye and matt were with me and I need to be a good example at least some of the time......Back to the sampler. Not much info on it but it was beyond lovely.




I wish I remembered more about this quilt. It was beautifully hand crafted (yes I peeked at the seams) and all of the same fabric, which must has been a luxury.





Some of the china and silverware. Again beautiful. I don't know about you but when I think of carting things around in a covered wagon, china and silver didn't used to come to mind.







This Hutch was lovingly handmade by the husband of some really blessed wife for a wedding gift.






Again, the Settee, not a covered wagon kind of item.........








This is a typical 1890's classroom.









Are these not the coolest little desks. I loved the book, and looked in the museum gift shop for a copy with no luck. I did however get a few really nice books.










This was before Allison got her horse and I thought she would like this little poem. I think if you click on the picture you will be able to read it.











And guess who is from Newnan???? None other than Alan Jackson, and so being the "mom" I made "her" pose for this picture. She loves Alan Jackson.... isn't she beautiful??????? You've heard his song , Way down yonder on the Chatahoochee. Real river, We saw it.
I loved this museum. it's very small and put together with care and love. I left out the civil war uniforms and the weapons, and the medical implements. That room honestly gave me the creeps. Interesting but sad.
I hope you enjoyed our time together. Come back soon for part 3.
If I have given any wrong information I'm sorry. I tried to be as accurate as possible. And as always I'd love to hear from you!!!!!! Blessings, Sue









No comments: