Monday, March 8, 2010

Georgia on my mind....

I'm longing, and remembering... and pondering........
This was our trip to Newnan, Georgia this last July. I'll set the scene by telling you that I have been fortunate in my life to have been raised in California...Grew up in Central on the coast and lived my adult life, until now in San Diego... I've studied California history not only as required, in all the years of school I've been through here, but also on my own....(Kind of a history freak!!!!) I believe I am ready to spend the second half of my life on the East coast , the South, more specifically, to enjoy and learn even more. All of these pictures were taken out of a moving car, back window..... Sorry for the quality but you get the idea. This is a pause,or bump in the road... and I clicked quickly as we bumped over this train track on our way to see the plantation homes. Ok, I'm used to California, SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA... the fact that there was not only, no fence, no guard rails ,not to mention big painted on the road white lines, flashing red lights and bells going off
There was a calm peace as we paused on the tracks and GREEN around these rails. Ok this shot is for effect only.... I want to reiterate that it is GREEN there. I'm not used to this. San Diego is after all desert, at least in the east county. Now I will remind myself that it was also very HOT and VERY HUMID but it was also green and green is my favorite color in the whole weird world.

First off forgive me... these homes all have names... and there is a printed guide you can use to find out the history of each and every one. I, however, was stuck in the back seat, juggling my camera and the pamphlet.... guess which one got tossed..... so we will just enjoy the houses and Ill try to share what I can remember...
Newnan, Georgia was a major hospital sight during the Civil War. Men from both the North and the South were treated and housed here. They used every home and facility to house the wounded soldiers and the hospital staff that came from all over to care for them. Family members also came to take care of their wounded husbands, brothers and etc.


This is a "widows walk". It is what it implies. It brings tears to my eyes..... Woman used to walk here to watch for their family members to come home..... I can't imagine..... actually I can but I don't want to.



Double porches... Can you not see yourself sitting there, drinking some fresh squeezed lemonade or sweet tea.
Don't mind the antennae going through the middle of this one heehee




I'm in love......




Same house different angle.






Columns.... ahhhhhh I think the reason these pictures look so misty is because it is so humid.....I'm not kidding, I have the dryest skin on the planet and I didn't even have to use lotion the whole time I was there, ( I used it since I'm addicted, but I didn't have to)
Ok then I guess this is it..... I had a good time, how about you? I think I may have to do a part 2.....I've got a lot more to tell you.... We haven't even been to Sonia ( think I spelled that wrong) .....
So until then, Blessings Sue






4 comments:

Anonymous said...

... There is no blinking lights, or fences, or signs for one reason and one reason alone...

IT WAS AN ABANDONED RAIL ROAD TRACK.

loser.

Anonymous said...

Ok Miss Muffet, enough of that kinda talk........... That was the point, silly head..... You love it there to and you know it and I love you, Allison. kisses momma

Unknown said...

Senoia is how you spell it, but who cares? haha. cool pictures! i never got to see them the first time, so it's nice to see them now!

Anonymous said...

this is such a beautiful blog, and the pictures are incredible. I felt like I was on vacation while visiting. Can't wait for the next batch, and I love the recipes.
Carol