Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Pondering the Positive

If you have known me or been reading my blog for any length of time, you know that I struggle with depression. Through the years I have learned and forgotten and learned and forgotten quite a bit of helpful information. Of course, I'm no doctor, I have had no "formal" training of any kind, but I have lived through situations and counseling .... and come through the other side OK.

Out of focus?
I would like to start  writing a little series,  on some of the things that have helped me. Going back through journals I have found some things I don't want to forget again. My prayer is that,  if by reminding myself of these truths through this writing and pondering that you will be blessed as well. 
"clear as a bell"
 My depression rolls in and sits like a fog. Things become a bit distorted. I just don't or can't see things as clearly as I know they really are. Being aware of this has had the biggest effect on how I am able to deal with it each time. Sort of like the two pictures above.... Just to give you a visual. I always know in the back of my mind that it will "lift". It just takes time.
Lovely Lavender
 So here we go with the first thought.
Busy little Bee, look closely....
 # 1.  Spend time with the "right" people.
Wild mustard, one of my favorites
People who love you, appreciate you and encourage you.
If you have faith like a grain of mustard, Matthew 17:20
 People who embrace who you are.....
California Poppies
 and who you want to be.
Allison's eye..  My favorite colors. SO BEAUTIFUL
 Sometimes these "people" may be your pets.
shadows of green
And sometimes you may just want to be alone. This is OK.
 But the people you surround yourself with is important. Find some with the same interests. Find some with different interests and learn something new. But make sure you are comfortable being yourself with them.
I would love to hear your thoughts. If you have time to leave a comment that would be great. If not, that's OK as well.
Be blessed, Sue

2 comments:

Neener Bells said...

Momma,
I enjoy reading your blog and do so as often as I can! I know your struggles and God knows your struggles too--He is there alongside of you always and with every day you learn something new and become stronger and stronger. I am so blessed to have you as my mommy... you are always an inspiration to me as I know very well that fog you described. I love you very much...keep writing and keep enjoying all of those things that God knows you love and blesses you with!!

--Neener Bells

Anonymous said...

Henry Nouwen did the exact same thing you are doing...he wrote a brief meditation on different topics just for himself, so he could go back and read and think when he was struggling. The book was published, and is called "The Journey of the Heart."

Great minds think alike :)

Love you,

C