Saturday, January 15, 2011

Saturday stuff...

I have been taking an on-line course to learn more about wine. I have always enjoyed a glass of wine, while making dinner and while visiting with friends. And while being blessed enough to live near "the wineries" in the Paso Robles area I never have known enough to know "what I was doing" while going tasting. I still have enjoyed it and by guess and by gosh, have ended up finding wine that I really like. I met a really nice lady at one of the wineries that taught me quite alot and whet my appetite for more....... And so I share......
Punt: When describing the anatomy of a wine bottle a punt refers to the indentation in the bottom of the base of the bottle itself. Although it adds strength, the size of the punt does not necessarily do anything to the wine. A deep punt can not only be impressive but add to the ease of the pouring, by placing your thumb inside it, and resting the body of the bottle on the other four fingers. Generally you stand a wine upright for awhile before pouring it, so the sediments can settle into the bottom of the bottle,which is a smaller area when a punt is present. You can clearly see the punt in the above picture.

I have learned a lot. I have found quite a few wines that I really like. I can enjoy the fullness of the flavors of a wine now and know what foods go with what to bring out the best flavors. But honestly... I know just about enough to be really dangerous. Heck before now I just thought the indention at the bottle of the wine bottle was just to cheat me out of a glass or two... hahahahahahahahahahahhahahhahah
Do you have a favorite wine???? Will you share with me what it is???? I would love to try it!!!
Blessings Sue


No comments: