Monday, January 17, 2011

Doughnuts...Do or Die

My Grama Merical, my moms, mom... lived in Iowa while I was growing up. Every year she and my Grampa came to visit for a week or two. My Grama loved to bake and I loved to bake with my Grama. I was blessed to be the one at her elbow, soaking in as much of her and her "kitchen wisdom" as possible. One of our specialties was raised, glazed doughnuts. This is her hand written recipe given to me when I got married.. The one on the left is the copy I made for myself while she dictated it to me..I was in Junior High. The funny thing about my gramas recipes is that she never put the amount of flour she used, just flour. This one I was able to ask her "about how much Grama?"
This is Paige.. My adopted love baby!!!!! She was my main taste tester today!!! She loved them.

My Grama and I made many, many batches of these....


We even made them camping.. and had to use a dental floss container to cut the wholes. We would start early in the morning and knead and rise and knead and rise. I remember seeing them rise on a giant rock that was right by our camp site one year.

And what would a doughnut be without the wholes.... Now mind you the sprinkles are all mine. I used to put sprinkles on everything for my girls..... Do you guys remember your yummy french toast???

I have been writing my recipes down in a journal for my girls. Only the recipes I use all the time. The ones they remember and mean alot to our family. I am writing these out in my own hand. Some will have the original glued in beside the new. Like this one from my grama and then me in jr high.
While looking for the applesauce cake recipe the other day, I came upon a whole bunch of really good things that I haven't made for years. Recipes given to me by some loved one or another. I decided that I would bake each recipe before writing it in the new journal to make sure it was still one of "the special" ones....
This may be a really fun journey or it may fizzle out, if my eye is caught by some other bright and shiny project... I'm kinda that way... but I'm happily inviting you along for the ride... if your game.
Feel free to send me a favorite recipe... I'd love to try it!!!
Baked blessings, Sue

1 comment:

dctalk007 said...

Those looks so tasty. It totally reminds me of everytime Keith and I return home from school for break we always ask for Mash Potato Doughnuts. You just can't get enough.