Thursday, January 13, 2011

Applesauce Cake!!!

Yesterday when I woke up, I saw apples in a bowl on the table. While coming back through the kitchen, cup of steaming hot coffee in hand a memory was triggered. A wonderful memory of an Applesauce Cake that my mom used to make for us when we were growing up.
Its a recipe she got from a school friend she grew up with named June. It's a moist, cinnamony cake, filled with nuts, raisins and chopped apples. I searched through my recipe box until I found it.

Applesauce Cake
1 1/2 cups applesauce
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons soda
2 eggs
1 apple- chopped
1 cup nuts
1 cup raisins
Place raisins in a small bowl and cover with HOT water and a teaspoon of vanilla. Let them soak while Mixing all dry ingredients in another small bowl.
Mix together in blender bowl your butter, brown sugar and eggs.
Add dry ingredients and stir.
Drain water off raisins and add them , the nuts and the apple chunks to the mix. Stir well.
Pour into a greased 13x9x2 inch , greased pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 35 to 45 minutes. The sides will shrink away from the pan and a toothpick will come out clean. ( I start checking mine at about 30 minutes and then every 5 minutes til done. It gets pretty dark. Cool completely and then top with Cream cheese frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
8oz cream cheese
1/4 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
powdered sugar, enough o get the consistency of frosting that you like, about a 1 lb box.

This also happens to be the very cake that I asked my mom to bake for my wedding...30 years ago... Our then neighbor across the street Jeanne, decorated it with apricot roses. It was beautiful and delicious. Thank you again Mom and Jeanie. I hope you know, knew how much it meant to me.



This morning when Seth took a big ol" bite his comment was " I don't remember our cake being this good!!! I have to agree.. it turned out great!!
Blessings, Sue




2 comments:

Krisxo said...

Good morning Sue. I really enjoyed reading your story about the applesauce cake. I can't wait to make it. I especially loved that this was the cake that you had for your wedding. The photo of you and Seth with the cake is beautiful.. Thanks so much for sharing.

Anonymous said...

it looks divine. i dont want to make it myself, but i will let you make it for me :)

-c