Friday, November 6, 2009

Best Oatmeal Bread EVER !!!

This is my favorite oatmeal bread recipe. It never fails to please. Its moist, hearty, just sweet enough and good with anything. Toasted, with butter or PB &J sandwiches. But even good with turkey.Try it, let me know what you think.
Honey Oatmeal Bread
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup butter or margarine
5 1/2 to 6 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup quick cooking oats
2 teaspoons salt
2 pkgs active dry yeast ( I use 2 Tbs )
2 eggs
1 egg white
1Tbs water
oatmeal
Place water, honey and butter in a small saucepan. Heat over low heat until very warm. (120* to 130* F)
Place Flour, oats, salt, and yeast in mixer bowl. Use dough hook and blend well. Continue on slow speed, and gradually add water mixture to flour and mix for about a minute. Add eggs and mix well, until all flour is incorporated. ( I used 6 1/4 cups flour this time, It really depends on the humidity in the air but I don't ever use more than 6 1/2 or the crumb gets to dry)
Continue mixing until the dough clings to the hook or cleans the side of the bowl.
(This really never happens as the dough is very moist, I just mix for about 4 or 5 minutes to get the gluten working well )
Place dough in a greased bowl, turning to grease top, cover and let rise in a warm place, free from draft, about an hour, or til doubled in bulk ( I put it on the top of the stove while pre heating the oven. Works great for me)
Punch dough down and divide in half. Shape each half into a loaf. Place in regular size bread pan (I use Anchor Hocking or Pyrex glass) Cover again and let rise for about 20 minutes.
Beat egg white and water together and brush each loaf liberally. Sprinkle with oatmeal.
Bake at 375* for 40 minutes. ( I check at 30 and 35, Don't let it get to dark. This batch cooked for 35 minutes and you can tell doneness by thumping on side or bottom of loaf . It will sound hollow. ) Remove from pans immediately and try to let it cool on wire racks.
Letting it cool is really the hard part. Its so good with butter, warm from the oven. My family devoured an entire loaf with dinner last night.
Any questions you know where I am!!!!!!!

Daddy brought me flowers yesterday. They made me VERY happy !!!! I love him soooo much!!!!






Blessings, Sue



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YUMMMM I'm going to try this bread when I get home. Do you still want us to come visit? Let me know. We're leaving Arizona on the 20th heading towards California. Email me gabbee.bearpaw@gmail.com