Saturday, January 21, 2012

A Blustery Saturday

I told myself last night that I could sleep in this morning. Ha that was the first mistake. It never happens for me like that. As soon as I have "permission" I'm suddenly wide awake at the first hint of light. WIDE AWAKE. Stumble out..... make coffee and stand in the bay window, trying to make sense of it all.
 I LOVE the rain. Always have, always will.
 While checking over my mint, which is doing great by the way. No aphids and lots of tiny new leaves budding out. Did I tell you about my mint. I don't think so. I was looking for spearmint which I found and also picked up some apple mint and chocolate mint. mmmmmmmmmm they smell delightful. I'm keeping them inside for now and will probably send them out as spring arrives........ Anyway while standing there sipping coffee I decided to try a new recipe I found on pinterest. Baked Doughnuts.
I lit a log and whipped up the dough....
 Tucked it in and went to do my Bible study. I let it rise for about an hour or so...( until I was done)
 Rolled out the dough on lightly floured parchment paper. I don't have a donut cutter.
 So I used a glass
And for the hole I used a lid to.... of all things..... fish tank water neutralizer.. hahahhaahahahahah
 Worked like a charm. Perfect size. My daughter says it's "redneck" I say it"s inventive. hahaha
 I again let them rise for about 1/2 hour and baked them for 8, maybe 9 minutes.
 I made up some maple glaze by using about 3 Tablespoons of butter softened and around 1 to 11/2 cups sifted powdered sugar. I mixed it with 1 teaspoon maple extract in the food processor then put it into a bowl and started adding milk 1 teaspoon at a time until it was still rather thick. Frosting consistency. While still hot, I took the doughnuts right off the pan with tongs and dipped them into the frosting. It thins out quite a bit, the butter making it melty.
 And just as soon as the first one was on the cooling rack it was snatched up and eaten by my taste tester.... Who gave it  so many thumbs up I had to hurry and get the camera so I could take pictures before they disappeared.
 Aren't they BEEEEYUUUUTEEEEFULLLLLLL. Some of the holes sorta closed up while baking making it look as though they have bellybuttons.
But this one turned out perfect.. When I turned it over, sure enough, there was MY NAME written right on the bottom.
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I definitely recommend this recipe. Baking them makes a big difference in taste as well as the yucky mess of frying them. Plus you can eat 2 or 3 and not feel bloated and grumpy the way doughnuts usually make me feel.
Baked Doughnuts

11/3 cup warm milk
1 TBS yeast
2TBS butter melted
2/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
5 cups flour
pinch of fresh ground nutmeg
1 tsp. salt

Mix up dough. Let rise til double. Roll out about 1/2 thick and cut into 2 to 3 inch circles. Place on parchment lined cookie sheet and remove center hole. Let rise again until oven heats to 375* Bake for 8 to 10 minutes,j ust until slightly brown on bottom. DO NOT over cook.
Either dip in 1/2 c melted butter and roll into sugar cinnamon mixture or make up some glaze like I did above. This makes about 11/2 to 2 dozen plus the holes.
Eat warm right from oven if you can. SOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOD
If you have questions just comment and I can write back.
Snugly blessings, Sue

No comments: