Thursday, November 17, 2011

Adventures in Yogurt Making.

Ok.. I'll admit it.  I like some of the finer things in life. Take yogurt for instance. I like the new Greek yogurts on the market now. Yes they are full of protein and blah blah blah but I like the texture, the thickness. It's like eating a piece of cheesecake to me. Now the particular brand I'm infatuated with right now costs $1.27 for a tiny "serving". Thats just too much for me. Sooooooo I thought I would try my hand at the "EASY" crock-pot method. It was easy. Even with the thermometer. More time consuming than anything.
 I started with 1/2 gallon of whole milk. I put it in the crock and brought it to the correct temperature.Then I cooled it down to the correct temperature, using the candy thermometer and added the container of plain yogurt with live active cultures. Wrapped it lovingly in a towel and let it sit for 10 hours. Then because it wasn't the least bit thickened up like yogurt should be I put it in the fridge for ...overnight.
 I then strained it through cheese cloth....
 This is what I got. Not even the amount of the ''real" yogurt I put in to start with. hahahahahaahahhaahhahah
 And a whole bowl of sour milk. I only know of a few recipes that use sour milk and I can't possibly use this much sour milk for anything else. Bummer of a waste, but this will not deter me. I WILL try again hahhaah
 I put sprinkles on Emmaline's cupcake hat. Just need to get it in the mail so it will keep her sweet little baby head nice and warm.
 This is a picture of my purple shamrocks. I forget their name. They are now blooming and the flowers are a light lavender.
 My old faithful keeps giving me tiny little white flowers and lots of big green clovers.
 I started another sweet potato. Not really on purpose. I waited to long to eat it and it started to get soft-ish and a few sprouts started popping out so I put her in a pot of water and she has taken right off.
 Oh and this is the Iron Cross Shamrock. Notice the leaves are sparse and rather spindly but it continues to bloom these amazingly bright coral flowers.I'm hoping that new leaves will sprout so it will fill out but it seems happy to continue making flowers!!
 And I finally got my "three white candles" that I have been obsessing over. hahahahahah I like them.
Gotta go... cleaning my bedroom and I don't want to loose momentum. More later than....
Blessings, Sue

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A canolly of the wholly variety.

neener bells said...

wow momma, making yogurt looks like sooooo much fun! hahahhaha especially if you only get a tiny little smidgen of yogurt from a half gallon of milk! the big question is....drum roll please.... did you eat it?? haha, i love you mommy

--neener bells