Thursday, June 11, 2009

As long as we're on the subject.....

Ok..... With age must come wisdom..... Yes? Take for example the happy little Hen lovingly in the presence of her growing chicks. Enjoying their time together. Teaching them how to become the best little chickens (in this case, let's just say.... hens) they can become. Then realizing that she has done such a fine job that these chicks(not so little anymore) are starting to be able to be actually do the things she intended to teach them from the beginning.. And really well.....That was the plan was it not??????...... Yes
Brood-y -adjective, brood -i- er, brood-i-est
1. moody; gloomy
2. inclined to sit on eggs: a broody hen

One of the most innate instincts certain types of hens have is laying her eggs and incubating them by sitting on them. Then raising her young. A Broody Hen is an accomplished, attentive and fiercely protective mother.

This is an amazing gift from God... As long as chicks are your goal.... If you have already gotten all the chicks you want and are interested in egg production this can become an annoyance and even a problem.....

Sitting on eggs exclusively can become damaging to the hen herself as she will neglect her own needs and seriously compromise her own health. You need to break the broodiness as soon as possible, the longer you let it go on..... the longer it will continue and be even harder to break.

Her temperament will change the longer this goes on , she well be both lethargic and her interactions with the other hens will change. She will become less and less involved in coop life even to the point of attacking anyone who comes close to her nest.

1. Block her nest box. this may take a few tries. She will not be happy about this and you may find her settling back in as soon as you turn your back.

2. Remove her from the eggs, and the eggs from the nest.

3. Make her go out of the coop. Give her food and water outside the coop environment and keep her away for bits of time.

Carlye left on Thursday morning....... Jennifer left this morning....... One back to Georgia, to her wonderful husband and home... the other to Maryland for a summer job. They will return..... Not in the same capacity they were when they were "little chicks"

I decided I could go one of two ways.... I decided on the harder choice.

I got up... I cried for a bit...got showered and dressed and left the house. I stayed gone for quite awhile. I bought some little things I have had on my "self" list for awhile. I bought dinner out and didn't think of what I am missing by not being in close physical contact with all my girls everyday.
I thought about how very blessed I am. They have given me what I have always wanted. To be called Momma. And hey... Its not like I'm done with the "mothering" thing just yet... Allison is still home. But that's another story.......

Be, and know that you are blessed, Sue

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

love it
your bff

Sheena said...

Sue, just know you will always be Mama and they will always need you to be their Mama. You never stop being Mama. My baby is 37 and they go up to 45 and "the beat goes on." It's one of those forever jobs. The blessings only go on and on.