Saturday, August 30, 2008

Moments at Sea World

There are moments in time that stand out, clear and unblemished on their own. And every time it happens I am reminded of the verses when Jesus said for us to come to Him as a child.
It is a child like wonderment. The few minutes that you loose completely "yourself" and become totally absorbed in the wonderment of what is before you.

That is what happened to me, and it was the walrus that drew me into his world for a time. This fellow had a definite pattern that he was determined to follow, and follow it he did. He would swim from the left side of his tank all the way over to the right side. Down to the bottom right below this window and up past the glass. I watched him for I can't even say how long. I was lost. Amazed at the size of his body, huge really, and yet he was so graceful. He had scars on his skin and I wondered what had caused them. One of his tusks had been broken off, halfway, and I wondered if he even noticed. I wanted to know how cold the water felt and if he was bored out of his mind. I could see every detail, so close, every whisker, and I could see into his eyes.

As I watched his gentle ballet, completely lost, the most amazing thing happened.
He STOPPED!!!!!! Right in front of the window. I couldn't believe it. I was so excited. I could see him so well. Now I could count the whiskers. I think I may have even squealed, because it was broken, the spell that was cast over me. I was shot back to reality. Ah and sadly , yeah I was embarrassed to realize that I was the only adult with my face as close to the glass as physically possible. All the other people around me were beautiful children.
Snapped back to "adult mode" I was then able to watch the wonderment that the kids had. It was GOOD. I enjoyed the rest of my day with the memory of that time. I think of that time every now and then, and I know, It changed me.
Flamingos really are a special type of animal. Truly amazing. I have to admit though, that my main thought while watching these guys was "how am I going to duplicate these colors"
Wishing you the blessing of many child like moments, Sue

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

cool story, mom! glad to see you're writing again...can't wait to read more! i love you and matt and i are both super excited for you to come visit us!

love,
carlye

Sheena said...

I love the walrus pictures. What fun !!! THose moments are so wonderful. Hope you can duplicate that color in some yarn. I have lots of white to try it.