Thursday, August 28, 2008

A little wine (whine) Kinda long....

I have debated several times over the last few months whether to keep writing on here or just continue in my regular paper journals only.
You see sometimes I don't feel like being cheerful and I don't always see the glass 1/2 full on certain days. I like to eat my cereal plain with the milk on the side if I feel like it. And yeah last night I ate almost 1/2 a bag (big bag) of peanut butter m&m's. The dog pukes on the floor and everyone pretends not to see it, so mom has to clean it up. You know regular real life stuff. But then I got to thinking about why I started this blog in the first place. I really enjoy it... that's why... I like to see my pictures on here and I like to think that I'm sharing with "friends" and family, and even just to remind myself of some of the really cool things that are going on in my life. So my decision has been made. I will continue, plodding along. Writing about whatever I feel like. Sharing pictures and stories. And on the days when the glass seems 1/2 empty we'll just pretend that it WAS full of Ice cold White Merlot. Deal??? Susan and I took a road trip earlier... I'm going to say spring time, since we saw a brand new baby, to A Simpler Time Alpaca Farm. Its located in Crest. Funny thing I realized once out there was that I used to teach her son California History in home school. (small world) ANEEEWAYYY......
Look at these faces. What lovely animals. Really.. The sounds they make are so soothing. Quiet, gentle and just plain sweet.
This is a baby I especially liked. He or she was tri-colored. His little rump was darker then his shoulders. Him and the other babies with him were so curios. They came right up to the fence to see us and snuffle our hands. They're eyes are beautiful, with long eyelashes.
Look at this guy...... He reminds me of some of the Amish men we saw in Pennsylvania. ( no offence intended) As a spinner I see the amazing colors in these animals fur. The quality of alpaca fiber is outstanding. The fiber itself is actually hollow making it much warmer then sheep wool. It doesn't have much "memory" meaning that it doesn't bounce back into its original shape as a completed garment. Sorta like if you were to knit a scarf with the yarn it would "hang heavy".
Sometimes I like to mix my fibers together, using a fine merino sheep wool with the alpaca. Not this time however. Susan and I bought some yummy fiber and this is what I spun. Its about 6.something ounces and I got 512 yards. Its a heavy fingering, light sport weight. It is amazing to the touch. So soft..... Its 3 colors, same animal. I tried to spin it from light to dark, so that the stole I am going to make with it will go from light to dark as well.
I wish you could feel this. It really is heavenly.
Well thanks for reading. Please leave a comment. Its encouraging. And if you have to leave it anon. sign your name.
Till next time.. many blessings, Sue

1 comment:

Sheena said...

Hi Sue I love your pictures and I love to read your blog. It's fun to see what you are up to even if you don't think it's good. I finally finished the baby surprise jacket and want to make an adult size. I sent for the pattern and Karalyn and I want to make one really bad. There was one at the Fair and it was really pretty. I want to go to the place you went to. When can I go with you on a field trip?? Have a little cheese with your wine and you will feel better. Or forget the wine and have some ice cream (that's my wine) Love you.