Friday, May 6, 2011

Success will be MINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNE

Remember when I told you awhile back that I was going through my recipes and writing down the recipes I use most often in a book? Well I came across a recipe that I have had for just about ever. It comes from a Great Aunt's Aunt or somewhere. Its for a "never fail pie crust" and it contains vinegar. Well needless to say I never used it since I figured vinegar and pie crust just didn't sound good together. Fast forward to the fact that I want to make the perfect pie, just because I'm kind of like that...I think it may be a control issue... not really sure!!! I found this really fun little cookbook on Amazon (my favorite place, ever). I sat down and devoured it in one sitting. I learned a lot. I never knew that gluten was not a good thing in pastries. I have been baking bread forever and gluten is always something that I needed to have around. Well turns out that acid ie. vinegar or lemon juice stops the action of gluten, making a lighter and fluffier crust. AAAANNNNNDDDDD it works.

Strait from the persons mouth whom I make the pies for in the first place, Seth. He said this was "The Best Pie You've Ever Made".......... Yayyyyyyy. I used the crust recipe that I learned from a fine lady who was a student of mine. I taught her to knit socks and she taught me how to make a killer apple pie. That's really the way to learn pie baking, at the elbow of a respected woman friend or relative.
I cooked the apples until they were tender on the stove top, with all my usual stuff, you know, butter, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg.


I added lemon juice to the crust. Since I have lemons coming out my ears and really, I still can't get my mind around vinegar in a sweet pie crust. It just sounds funny to me. I made the pie on a day when Seth and I were home alone for the whole night. We went out for a big lunch which worked out well....



We ended up have pie and ice cream for dinner and breakfast the next day. We should have waited a bit longer for it to cool because in the morning the juice had thickened up quite nicely.It was really good. the crust was crispy in all the right spots and fluffy and light in all the rest of the spots. I bought more apples today!









Good thing I wrote down exactly what I did......... Maybe i can make another one just as good....Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Blessings, Sue









1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hope daddy liked his arsenic...he probably deserved it, after all :)
-c