Monday, May 18, 2009

Junior Fair #1 And the winner is......

Here she is, back home, absolutely exhausted, and very happy after a LONG week at Junior Fair.

Boy have I learned alot. There are alot of really amazing people who give alot of their time and much energy to give our kids experiences they will never forget. This is a lifestyle. These kids work HARD. The parents that I met were just like us. Really into their kids and PROUD of their achievements and successes. The local businesses give and give and give. I am amazed at the amount of sponsorship involved and to mention the scholarship's made available. Truly a learning experience. Makes you feel proud you belong to the community of East County.
These are some of the judges. When you show an animal you learn all about that animal. So she had to cram to learn all about the other animals. Because she won Master showmanship with Louie she had to show one of each of the animals being represented. Steer, Dairy heifer, Boer Goat, Sheep, Pig And know about them as well. Having never done this she did REALLY WELL.
She was laughing later at some of the questions: How many teeth do a sheep have? She told the judge "Hold on, let me count" haha

She competed with these 5 kids and received 3rd place. Right smack dab in the middle. We are so happy. She really wanted the belt buckle but now she has something to look forward to.


Let me list a few more things I learned or was reminded of:
1. Steer, Its called a STEER. Not a boy cow, not a cow... In fact I never heard the word cow the entire time.
2. Farm animals are really LOUD and really STINKY. They are also very loving animals and deserve our respect and gratitude.
3. Yes, this is where our meat comes from and even though I prefer to buy my meat at the store and forget this particular part, it still exists. God bless the people who do this part and are kind to the animals during the process.
4. There is a reason for wearing boots. HOOFS HURT TOES !!!!!!! and they don't walk around on carpet...... Very dusty,dirty.

5. People who work with animals are good people. This I have always known, but it was very re-enforced. It is HARD and tedious and requires either and/or much devotion.

6. Poop is gross, flys are annoying.
7. Even though white and poop/mud/etc. do not mix, It sure makes for a sharp combination when it comes to a uniform while paired with a cool jacket, scarf or hat.
8. I am a spinner. I enjoy my part of this circle. I will always be a spinner. I like fiber. I would not enjoy the hands on part of the market animal thing. I like to know that I can work together with the animal to keep doing what I enjoy. and I definitely want to pass this skill on to others.
This is the piggy Allison showed, She was a dear piggy. She behaved herself in the ring while some of the other pigs were being very naughty. Snoozing........... Good times, thanks for listening. I hope you enjoyed this with me. Keep reading second part of post for more pictures.

Blessings Sue



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never seen a girl look better next to a goat/steer/pig than little ol' Allison. Yay master showman! I wonder how she would do if she had to show...a human? Maybe we can try it out when I get home.

-c

Sheena said...

Congrats Allison! You look so sharp in your whites. I fondly remember those days and my kids hated it. I still love it.

Anonymous said...

RIGHT ON ALLISON


SUSAN