Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Little Red Hen

Smug
-adjective, smug-ger, smug-gest
1. contentedly confident of one's ability, superiority, or correctness; complacent

Satisfaction
Sat- is- fac-tion -Noun
1. the act of satisfying; fulfillment; gratification
2. the state of being satisfied; CONTENT We all know the story, the one about the Little Red Hen ( and yes I know this is a rooster,but I couldn't find the pic's of my hen's, so " pretend it was a hen") Well...... Usually I think of this ever busy Hen when I'm the "only one who ever does anything around here" and feeling sorry for myself ......but not today....
Today I'm thinking about how "smugly satisfying" it is to see a project from the very beginning to the very end, all by yourself. She was the one who planted, harvested, ground, baked and yes finally ATE the bread.

Even though I didn't shear the little sheep that donated this fiber, I did hand-dye the roving. This by the way is the same colorway that i won a blue ribbon for at the San Diego, Del Mar Fair.

The darker picture is more accurate color wise. I have enjoyed every minute of this project. Dying the roving was the first step. Then I spun the fiber, (it's Blue-faced Leicester) using a fractal strip technique I learned about in a past Spin-Off magazine. I think I talked about this a while ago with some blue yarn I spun. Anyway it makes very beautiful yarn that "self" stripes and has a long run of the same color going through the whole skein. Very, very lovely. Fingering weight or "sock yarn". I then decided to make a pair of socks for me, using my basic sock recipe but this time I mad a short row heel with a heel flap. It turned out great and if your interested in hearing more about it just leave me a comment. Ill be happy to tell you how I did it.
I enjoyed the knitting part just as much, if not more because I was able to live with in the colors as they slipped through my fingers, stitch by stitch.


These cinnamon rolls are rather anemic looking but like the hen (uhh..rooster) picture are merely a representation of the hard working Little Hen's bread... hee hee ..get it... rolls...bread..hehee

And these nasturtiums are just pretty. I downloaded the wrong picture and since they are just to lovely to delete I thought you might enjoy them as well.

Finally getting some 'winter" weather here. I may rain... Yay!!!! WE need it for sure.
Until later then. I'm hoping you find something to make you feel smugly satisfied about and of course Many, Many Blessings, Sue




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

mah-meeee! yoo wis dust so fuh-nee, mahh-mahh! HEHEHE! I dus don wannoo top weeding yoos tuff! wite summoh! wite sommoh!

--Neenee behws

Anonymous said...

I just love it when your blog..i think we all need to be a little smug.

the ween

Sheena said...

I love the Litte Red Hen myself and have 6 baby chickens in the house again. Grandkids here to hold and tame. Now I have 30 chickens. Enough! We are still working on the wedding. Love the socks. I am spinning some moreno and silk for a sweater. I need to start some socks for myself. I feel very smug wearing my handmade socks too.

Anonymous said...

i feel smug about my bird painting! so i know how you feel. hey, want to send some of those cinnamon rolls my way? i'd eat both pans in a heartbeat.

love you!

carlye